It’s National Forage Week!
Find this article at:
Here are some forage fun facts:
- According to the USDA Climate Change Resource Center “…..the global potential for carbon sequestration from restoring degraded grasslands is significant, with the possibility to sequester approximately 3 gross tonnes C per year—equivalent to reducing atmospheric CO2 by 50 ppm over 50 years” Properly managed grasslands already sequester carbon!
- Grasslands cover approximately 25% of the earth’s surface–the ocean covers around 70%.
- Forages are a large source of nectar and pollen for honey bees.
- Just like other plants, there are different species of forages that grow during specific seasons. There are also perennial and annual forage species.
- Diverse mixtures of forage species promote biodiversity in the soil.
- Forages can provide wildlife habitat for species such as birds and small mammals